Phil Hedges from Ministry of Education provided an update from a Student Success Perspective. Below he outlined all the student success initiatives the ministry is funding in Ontario Secondary Schools. The biggest 'take always' I felt from his presentation are the following.
- the Key Elements of Student success is what works with one student might not work with another. That's why the ministry has provides lots of different strategies
- The role of the guidance counsellor is to work with students to help them learn the skills to make their own plans. NOT tell them what to do with their life.
Below is listing if student success initiatives.
5 Year Cohort Graduation rates have increased from 68 to 84% since 2003/2004
Strategies to regain credit.
- Full course repeat, summer school, credit recovery.
- Majority repeat course, then summer school, credit recovery.
- Another failure in grade 10 most successful was summer school
76% of school that focused on math saw an improvement.
Taking some responsibility for their plan and have the confident in their ability to implement it.
Combine multiple courses together
Gr. 5⁄6 students are clients, gr. 11/12 students build apps.
- does not capture accurate data, need to include apprenticeship, and out of province schools.
12% of students are involved in coop program.
Disengaged and underachieving students
Post secondary conversion: 31% applied to college two years later of those 82% registered.
Growth of 8 sectors to 19 sectors
600 to 44000 students
How are Universities supporting acknowledging SHSM
46% of crown wards graduated high school.
- fact access
- early identification
School support initiative.
Targeted support to selected secondary schools
Achievement gap between applied and academic are doing in EQAO math 42% to 38% from 2009-2014 Gap is increasing in literacy 35-44%
Re Engagement Initiative 12 & 12+ 16000 contacted
Creating Pathways to Success Education and Career life planning program
Goal is to leave high school with a PLAN.
Expansion of experiential learning
help kids connect learning in the classroom to learning outside the classroom. teach student what reflection is and how to use it to deepen their learning.
Transition rates from secondary to college / University
Specialist High Skills Major
Pathways to apprenticeship OYAP participants 24849
Children and Youth in Care\
Mental health and addictions strategy priorities
- Help for vulnerable children and youth with unique needs